The PDE Gamers Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Homefront review

2 posters

Go down

Homefront review Empty Homefront review

Post by Wokthedog Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:03 am

This is not an in depth analysis! This is just my first thoughts about the game!! I have only played for less then 2 days so do not expect a full analysis!!!

SINGLE PLAYER

--Storyline--
This storyline was been done by the author which wrote Red Dawn and Co-wrote Apocalypse Now. So upon reading that you would think the storyline is decent! It turns out that yeah it's pretty good. You have to be flexible and accept that this is a game and yes the storyline is very unbelievable. It takes place during the year 2027 in which the United States has been invaded by the Korean army (North Korea has united South Korea as one nation). You are part of the rebel forces set to help the shattered and disorganized US forces take back America. I won't go further into details for spoilers sake.

--Gameplay--
I found the single player extremely easy and VERY short (beat it in 3 hours 45 minutes). It felt very rushed and the effort was definitely not there. The storyline was good but it seemed like the game could've expanded upon it and could have easily stretched it out. Also I absolutely hated the girl your teamed up with (the single player was so short I don't even remember their names).

--Overall--
Just play single player and be done with it in 4 hours. Not worth buying for the single player, maybe not even worth your timing playing through it. Single player vechicles does not react like multiplayer vechicles so it doesn't even help you practice.

Single player 3/10

MULTIPLAYER

Here is what we've all been waiting for. Is this a CoD killer?? No I don't think it is but it does have alot of potential. At first glance this game reminded me of Call of Duty mixed with Battle field: Bad Company 2. It has more emphasis on vechicle warfare then infantry.

--Infantry--
Your selection of guns is less then CoD's selections but you have various attachments. Basically this is how it works
--Weapons--
- Level up to unlock more guns
- Get kills with weapon to unlock attachments/camo
- Able to switch classes and create classes right away
-Attachments: Shotgun
Grenade launcher
Air burst launcher
Red dot/holo/ACOG sights
Silencer
EMP launcher
--Perks--
Now I like how the perks work it's actually a very good idea. When you kill,assist, complete objectives you gain BP (battle points). You can save up BP to purchase perks or vechicles. You get to equip 2 perks with each class and use it however many times you want! Example (Saved up alot of BP we are being pushed back to our last objective, launch 5 air strikes) or (continously buff yourself upon respawn by activiating a person UVA or getting a flakjacket). The BP's seem pretty fair and there isn't really any real way to abuse this system. You can choose to save up for more powerful vechicles or purchase some perks on the fly!

--3 different types of perks--
-First- is the equipable perks which you can have 2 per chacter class, these are low BP cost perks which helps you destroy nerds on the run such as flakjacket, air strikes, UAV's. You can purchase these whenever you want as long as you have the BP for it.

-Second- is the pernament perks. These perks are vechicles which you purchase when your respawning. These cost alot of BP and can cost you BP you saved up for half the round for some of them. Some of the perks are heavy tanks, helicopters, humvees. When purchased you spawn inside the vechicle. These vechicles are like BFBC2 style, your team can spawn inside some of the vechicles or you can switch seats with people. You can get out of the vechicle at anytime you wish and also get back inside. They can also be stolen by the opposing team. There is a practice option in which you can practic driving vechicles at your own leisure. I highly suggest doing so for the helicopter everything else is easy.

-Third- these perks are not purchased but pernament attributes which your class has. These are like CoD's marathon, commando, steady aim etc.... BUT they work a bit differently in this game. Each perk depending on how valuable it is has a cost from 1-3. Each character has 4 slots so you can have 4 perks that cost 1 each or 2 which cost 1 and 3 etc etc.... Most of these perks are similiar to the ones in CoD so I won't go into further details.

--Infantry combat--
(This review will be for PDE so I will automatically assume whoever is reading this is already an extremely high level FPS player)

--Assualt Rifles--
VERY EASY. I use the ACR which has good damage okay accuracy and fire rate and I'm raping everything. This game is litterally pick up and play! The most important factor is ADS. ADS is very fast and accurate in this game, also backed by the fact you can kill someone in an average of 3 bullets you can kill/die very fast. I found the infantry combat stresses on reaction speed and ADS skills. Also knife is lighting fast but you have to be fairly close to the person, since you die very easily it's pretty hard to just run around and knife everyone all game long (even with a perk that allows for extended knife range)

PROS: 3 bullet kills
Abusive ADS
Fast reload rate
Large mags (compared with how fast they die)
Hip fire grouping is pretty small
ADS can kill snipers at decently far range
CONS: Can run out of ammo after 12+ kills
uhhh... there really isn't any....

--Sniper--
There are only 2 rifles (Which is all you really need)
First sniper rifle is semi auto 10 rounds. 1 shot kill in the head, 2 shots anywhere else. Second rifle is bolt action 5 rounds. 1 shot kills in the chest or head, 2 anywhere else. Sniping in this game is very easily done but not abusable. Whenever you fire your shots leave a giant ass streak across the whole stage AND there is killcam so you can easily be spotted. You must change positions alot if you want to survive as a sniper. The ADS for the rifles is very fast and accurate like everything else(I have tried no scoping so I have no info on that). When in scope your aim barely moves and you do not have the option to hold your breath for a steady shot. You cannot get a silencer attachment or any at all for sniper rifles.

PROS: Easy to use scope system
1 shot 1 kill
Can be used semi close to long range easily
Easy way to earn BP
CONS: Shots leave easy to spot smoke trail
Must constantly change vantage points

--Light Machineguns--
I have not used any yet but I think they will be very powerful. Only downfall is slower movement rate and reload speed.

PRO: Large mags
High damage
CON: Slower movement
Slow reloadrate

--Sub Machineguns--
I have no used any and I probably wont. Small mags, weak damage (especially if they have a flakjacket on, I have been shot like 1297389423 times and survived with flakjacket LOL) only pro is faster movement speed.

PRO: Faster movement
CON: Bullets are very weak vs flakjacket
Small mags

--Vhecicles--
I haven't tried much of these yet but plan to in the future.

I guess this is it for now I might update this in the near future.

--Edit--
Forgot to mention, game currently does not run with xfire in the background. Movement seems clunky and hitbox is not as polished as cod.
Wokthedog
Wokthedog
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Homefront review Empty Re: Homefront review

Post by [PDE]PaulKersey Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:43 pm

This is pretty damn good considering it's not a full blown review. For less than 2 days, this is excellent.

Yeah, I didn't think it could take Call Of Duty, but I like their ideas. They will need another sequel to fully get it right. I also think they should just drop being a soldier and let you fight as a civilian. Soldiers are played out and it's just another wannabe image in the 'military FPS' pack. We need something different.

I always wanted a Battlefield/CoD type of game. The guys working on COD or either scared or don't get it and the Battlefield series is a whole different animal altogether, but I like the Battlefield concept. Call Of Duty developers and most of their players are scared of vehicles and want to just run around a map in Call Of Duty 14.

The idea they have for player progression and Battle Commander is one they need to keep. They just need to make the game appealing and attractive to play, not just in teams of graphics, because I would take Battle Commander mode over COD any day. This is probably the best self explanatory review on the forums. I gotta give you some Rep+ for your effort.

Oh and Wok, I thought the girl was hot except for the face and she just needed a little extra in the back haha! Well, they tried? Hehe maybe in a sequel.

Good work man and keep smashing 'em in StarCraft II!
[PDE]PaulKersey
[PDE]PaulKersey
CoDWaW Senior Admin
CoDWaW Senior Admin

Tagline Tagline : Look out! Badass Loader!

http://www.pdelite.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Wokthedog Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:45 pm

Oh yeah I forgot to mention. The movement is clunky and hitboxes are not polished
Wokthedog
Wokthedog
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down